In 24 hours from now, I will be leaving Vancouver for good. It is very bittersweet since I have fallen in love with this city and I'm very sad to leave. But.. I'm also excited to start a new chapter in Australia in the new year.
I have been lucky to have been able to experience many of the great restaurants during my 2.5 years in this city. I also have people asking where to go and what to do when they visit here. So this is going to be a recap of my favourite things to eat and do in Vancouver. It is NOT a complete list, it is purely the places I have tried and loved. Most of the restaurants are in Kitsilano since that is where we have been living for 2 years!
Let me know what you think in the comments or if I have missed any of your favs. Hope you enjoy!
Top 10 Restaurants for a Nice Night Out:
- Maenam - Absolutely delicious Thai food (Try the Chef's menu to get a taste of everything or my favs are the Grilled Thai Sausage & Crispy Rice Salad, 8 spice ling cod & free range chicken curry)
- Fable - "Farm to Table" Top Chef Trevor Bird owns the place & is usually there working (try the squash gnocchi and steak frites)
- Union - Thai/Vietnamese (try the Nasi Goreng, Cha Ca Fish, Red Curry Tofu & Green Beans)
- Vij's - Best Indian in Canada. There will be a 1-2 hour wait, go early and have a cocktail while waiting. It's worth it. (try the lamb popsicles, and everything else, its all friging amazing)
- Cafe Reglanade - French Bistro (try marinated salmon app, braised short ribs and 7 hour marinated lamb)
- Flying Pig - trendy, comfort food (try the crispy brussels sprouts & short rib macaroni)
- Oakwood - our local spot (try the warm kale salad, beef brisket poutine, tomato-coconut mussels)
- Blue Water Cafe - Really high end seafood in Yaletown (try everything, bring tons of mula)
- Nuba - healthy, fresh, lebanese (try the cauliflower, it is AMAZING)
- Chewies - Seafood/Oyster Bar (try the seafood pot, oysters & grilled calamari)
|Vij's Lamb Popsicles|
Top Places for Quick/Cheaper Eats:
- The Eatery - Crazy sushi rolls, great atmosphere, live DJ, tons of fun (try the Bob Marley Roll, Paper Crane and Japanese Fortress)
- Peaceful Restaurant - As seen on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (try the Beef Roll and Dan Dan Noodles)
- East is East - Indian. Awesome Chai tea samples and appies while you wait (try the Chai Feast, a little bit of everything, the lamb is divine.)
- La Taqueria - Authentic Mexican Tacos, 4 for $9
- Smak - Healthy fast food (try the mango salad, butterless chicken and veg green curry)
- Go Fish - Fish shop on water by Granville Island (try to Fish & Chips and Salmon Sandwich)
- Vij's Railway Express - Indian lunch on the go (check out this clip of me eating the lamb wrap on TV here)
- Aussie Pie Guy - Aussie Meat Pies with a trendy twist (try the pulled pork with coleslaw)
- Noodle Box - Southeast Asian Noodles, huge portions (try the Naam with curry/lime/cilantro sauce and spicy peanut noodle box)
- Shizenya - Yummy spot with healthy sushi options. All brown rice for the rolls (try the mango california roll)
- Hubbub - Delicious sandwiches, you only get to choice the meat, they all come the same. (try the butternut squash/coconut vegan soup and the unreal mint coleslaw)
- Finch's - Unreal sandwiches, see pic
- Aphrodites - organic, local, delicious (save room for pie)
- Oakwood - Trendy comfort food (try the tuna eggs benny)
- Fable - I haven't been here for brunch yet, but heard its great
Top Spots for Dessert:
- Rain or Shine Ice Cream - New homemade ice cream with local ingredients (try the Coffee Toffee, but all flavors are amazing)
- Bella Gelato - High-end delicious gelato, expect a line
- Earnest Ice Cream - Usually spotted at Farmer's Markets... now they have a store
- La Casa Gelato - a MUST do, over 518 flavours, always changing too
- Lucky's Doughnuts - located in 49th Parallel Coffee, in Kits now too
- Cartem's Doughnuts - new spot in Gastown
- Aphrodites Pie - they also have gluten free and vegan options
- Honey's Doughnuts - adorable spot in Deep Cove, they their signature honey doughnut
- Acorn - Great spot, nice decor (try the cauliflower truffle mac & cheese)
- Heirloom - (try the Gnocchi Beets)
- Naam - hippy dippy, open 24 hours, veggie comfort food, always have a veg curry special, expect a line (try the Thai Dragon Bowl)
Top Coffee Shops:
- Arbutus Coffee - local spot that could not be more cute, they use spaghetti as stir sticks to be environmentally friendly
- Wired Monk - great spot filled with glowing screen due to free wifi and lots of outlets
- Nelson the Seagull - the most hipster of all hipster coffee shops, bring a scarf and glasses. They even do yoga classes in here during off hours.
- 49th Parallel - On Main st and new location in Kits. (try Lucky's doughnuts)
- Blaq Sheep - Cute local shop, amazing baked goods
Summer Stuff To Do:
- Secret Beach Sunset Picnic- not a secret anymore, great quiet spot to read during the day or have a picnic at sunset. End of Trafalgar Street by Point Grey Road in Kits.
- Grouse Grind - Awesome hike 2.9 km up a mountain. They call it 'nature's stairmaster' Usually takes people 45mins - 1.5 hrs to complete. Have a beer at the top if you think you have earned it.
- Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge - much like the Capilano Suspension Bridge but way less tourists and free! Lots of easy trails to explore too.
- Bike around Stanley Park - rent a cruiser or bring your own. 10km of flat pathway around entire park. gorgeous views all the way around. (try the tandem bike for some extra fun)
- Lighthouse Park Walk - cool place to walk around and explore in West Vancouver
- SUP in Deep Cove - Wait for a sunny day with calm water and head down to Deep Cove. You can rent the Stand Up Paddleboard's for 1-4 hours. It is easy to learn and super fun!
- Kits Pool - Biggest outdoor salt water pool in Canada, and you can't beat the view.
Winter Stuff To Do:
- Cypress Snow Shoe
- Cypress Look Out
- Skating at Robson Square
- Mountain Top Ice Skating at Grouse
- Hiking/Snow Shoe at Seymour
|Hike at Mt Seymour|
Top Road Trip Spots:
- Sushi Village - try the SASS roll, spicy agadeshi tofu, box roll, and of course saki margaritas
- Satchi Sushi - try the 'cupcakes'
- Ingrids Cafe - great lunch spot, homemade turkey or veggie burgers, broccoli salad
- GLC - best apres patio spot, try the Chicken T & A w mango pineapple sauce and the waffle fries
- Longhorn - awesome apres patio
- Dublin Gate - great afternoon live music and fun pub
- Cittas - fun pub, say Hi to Jodi
- Amsterdam Pub - another fun little pub, nights here sometimes end with motorboats...